Chatbots are computer programs that can have the ability to mimic human conversations in their natural format including text or spoken language. This is accomplished by using artificial intelligence techniques that includes Natural Language Processing (NLP), image & video processing, and audio analysis. Their most interesting feature is that they can learn from past interactions and become smarter over the time. Chatbots work in two ways:
- Rule Based: They provide predefined responses from a data base, based on the keywords in the search.
- Smart Machine Based: They inherit capabilities from AI and adjust their behavior based on customer interactions.
The arrival of this technology is has given rise to new realms of engaging customers and ways of doing business. With instantaneous and personalized customer response that meets customer expectations, chatbots have revolutionized the customer service industry. Powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI), Chatbot intelligence will increase with better use of conversational interfaces, and in future it will be used not only for customer support and retention, but acquisition as well. The objective of using chatbots is not to replace humans, but to bridge the gap between brands and consumers. Although the implementation of chatbots in the call center industry will have huge implications with potentially disruptive technology. Generally, chatbots can be trained with four major types of data projects.
- Utterance collection: Here, the bot is trained to identify instances where people come up with different ways to ask the same thing.
- Relevance: Using this, the bot is trained to give relevant responses to real user questions.
- Intent: Here, the bot learns to judge the user’s intent while they are engaged with them.
- Entity recognition: This type of data project is used to help the bot understand nuance and context of the conversation.
Currently, front-end chatbots are used in several domains, but are still in the primitive stage. Compared to humans, these front-end chatbots lack empathy and the ability for problem solving. For businesses, chatbots can be used to manage customer queries round the clock without any delay. There are many other advantages of incorporating this technology in business.
- Interactions are possible through familiar platforms like Facebook chat through API.
- Easy to interact using a simpler interface.
- Capability to outperform humans in terms of speed in handling customer queries.
- Easy to build, cost efficient and improved efficiency.
Chatbots can currently be seen on websites and social platforms to assist customers in their interactions with the brand. Chatbots not only communicates through voice or text, users can now interact with them via graphical interfaces and widgets as well. This technology gives businesses a new way to interact and deliver their messages to customers on chat platforms.